Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ideas and Technology: More Intelligent Alarms

From the time I started traveling by bus to office, I am wasting a minimum 2hrs every day. Minimum because, the time it takes to travel depends on various factors like the condition of the traffic and the driver. Some of them make it in just 50 min, while some take me on a long 90 min journey. With more traffic it only gets worse. Reading is not something I can do, due to low light in the evenings, so the best thing could be to take a nap. I tried this option a lot of times, but my mind always tries to be over careful so that I just don't miss my stop. The result; I only end up resting my eyes. Probably I could set off an alarm at 50 min starting from the departure time, but then on quite a few occasions it wakes me up midway whenever a slow driver blends with a bad traffic. Why can't alarms be more intelligent? How do I make sure my alarm gets active at almost the same time that my bus reaches a specific PLACE. There you are, my alarm should better track the location than time! A lot of people think of GPS whenever it comes to keeping track of the location. But then it would require that a GPS receiver be integrated into your most commonly used, all in one device; your mobile. If it is too complex then forget it, I don't want it to be very accurate for this application. I am OK with my alarm waking me up on reaching the nearest tower to my house, which can be done with conventional mobiles as they will know the location code of the towers. I think, if this was so simple, mobile companies would have implemented it way back, or probably it has done it but I am unaware of one? I found quite a few number of literatures on this topic on the net, but most of them just think of GPS when it comes to location tracking. Hope this is a much simpler way out. Well, for my problem at least!

3 comments:

Harish said...

maga, idu work adare nangu helu. i need this desparately

KC said...

Magaaaa......ulti idea :-)... Moto nalli messages folder ge hodre Info services inbox idey.......alli u can enable it to store the current location....adanna programatically neenu read maadi alarm set maadu :-) (For eg: when the bus is near to ur house.....it can show abt 5 possible towers like gowripalya binnypet Vijaynagar etc etc ......idanna string search maadi alert haaku :-))

Puneeth B C said...

Great! I didn't get this "adanna programatically neenu read maadi alarm set maadu". Does this mean the company needs to put some code or can I do it with my mobile right away?